Thursday, October 1, 2009

Like taking a bullet...

I was asked to fill out one of those silly surveys on Facebook the other day... and I was going along just fine until I saw the last question.

HOW DID YOU MEET YOUR SPOUSE/SIGNIFICANT OTHER?

Like taking a bullet. It's coming up on a year that my divorce was finalized. And I thought about this question. Yes, I met my "was-been" on CraigList strictly platonic, and yes, we were together just about three and a half years, married almost two of those. And I could have answered with that.

But then I really thought about it. I have many significant people in my life - day to day, via actual in person interaction, through Facebook, through text messages. I could go through and name all of them, but I know I would be missing someone. Some are very prevalent, daily, and they are the first I think to share my thoughts, good day or bad day, with. I've met you all through school, through work, via being born into the same family, through knit groups, through second jobs or volunteer work, at speed-dating (even though I met no men that night); some of my spouses/significant others are there for a few months, some are there for years - I've had a few of you since kindergarten; You see, I have many significant others – just a single girl filling the boxes with many, instead of just one. Which feels better to me, in the long run. One person shouldn't have to be your everything. Nor should you expect that of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment